Tuesday, February 07, 2012

My Gyaru Makeup

Gyaru fashion is a type of Japanese street fashion that originated in the 1970’s. Gyaru is most commonly referred to as ganguro, but ganguro is actually a subculture of gyaru. Ganguro was popular in the 1990’s, but shortly died out in the early 2000's. Gyaru is a girly-glam style, breaking away from traditional standards of beauty. Dwelling on the man-made (wigs, fake eyelashes, fake nails, etc). Gyaru fashion does not fit with traditional, and media portrayed ideals of Japanese women. It is often identified as a sign of rebellious youth
During my makeup classes one of the makeup technique I learned was the Japanese Gyaru makeup. There are different types of gyaru. But two of the most commonly known or popular are the Ganguro, where the girl has fake dark tan and bleached hair, and Hime gyaru, and princess or doll like makeup. And thank goodness I learned the hime garyu technique, since I don't think it would be easy to evenly put dark foundation on my model. 

Used really long and thick false lashes
The shadow seems uneven but it's important when the eyes are open...


For the hime garyu look,  I used pink face powder with a bit of glitter, and for the eyes pink smokey eyes, and pink blush and of course pink lipstick.

The most difficult for me was to put the lashes. Since they are thick and long, it wasn't as easy as putting on regular lashes. Plus the under lashes were quite hard to control and put.

I guess since my model was just 15, this look suits her well. Good thing that I wasn't a model for this one :D 



No comments:

Post a Comment